Goats Cheese and Veggie Strata. New Years Eve is fast approaching, and for those who are entertaining, we’ve got the best hungover breakfast to feed a crowd! Mom and dad had their 37th wedding anniversary party last night, and since we knew we’d all be feeling a little under the weather the next day, a prep in advance breakfast was the way to go. And trust us, this one’s a winner.
Everyone loved digging into this strata this morning. It has everything you need to feed your poor aching body. Carbs in the form of bread, eggs and goats’ cheese for protein and fat, and vegetables for some nutrients. We topped the whole thing with a small amount of smoked cheddar cheese from Five Brother’s Cheese (which you can get at Killick Cafe – for the locals) which adds a bit of a smoky taste without being overpowering.There’s also a touch of savoury in with the vegetables, just enough to add a bit of flavour, but not enough to taste like dressing (stuffing for non-Newfoundlanders).
So let’s talk about how to make this beast of a breakfast. It serves ten people, so we feel beast is an appropriate term. Okay, so first you’ll want to get all your vegetables chopped and ready to go, it’ll make the whole thing easier. If you’ve got a food processor – use it to pulse the onion and mushrooms small. Next you’ll fry up the vegetables, seasoning with salt and pepper as they cook. That part is very important for flavour. Then all you do is layer the bread, vegetables, cheese, more bread, pour over the egg mixture, and finish by topping with smoked cheddar. It sits overnight in the fridge and the next morning just pop it in the oven for an hour and you are done. The top gets all crunchy and delicious, while the inside stays soft and oh so full of flavour!
We hope you love this as much as we did! Have a Happy New Year and we’ll see you in 2019 😉
Goats’ Cheese and Veggie Strata
- 1 small red onion chopped small
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms roughly chopped
- 142 g arugula & spinach mix 5 oz package, roughly chopped
- 10 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tsp savoury
- 140 grams goats’ cheese
- 1/4 cup smoked cheddar shredded
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil avocado or olive oil
- 600 gram loaf of good bread we used white bread
- Chop all of your vegetables first, using a food processor to speed up the process if you have one. Heat a pan over medium heat with a tablespoon of oil. Add the red onion and cook until translucent, stirring often to prevent browning. Add the mushrooms and cook until soft and beginning to brown. Season the vegetables with salt (around 1/4 tsp) and pepper. Add the garlic and savoury and cook for 1 minute. Add the chopped spinach and arugula and cook until wilted, then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- As the vegetables are cooking, chop the bread into large chunks and shred the smoked cheddar. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and some salt and pepper. When the vegetables have cooled enough, grab a 9×12″ porcelain or glass baking dish (grease if necessary), and begin layering. Add a layer of bread to cover the bottom of the dish, then add all your vegetables, crumble over the goats’ cheese, and top with a second layer of bread. Pour over the egg mixture, pushing down the bread so it all absorbs the liquid. Top with the shredded smoked cheddar, cover with saran wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 350F. Remove the saran wrap and bake the strata for 1 hour, until browned on top and the egg mixture has cooked through. Serve hot and enjoy!
The recipe is credited to Nicole and Katherine – The former owner of SaltwaterDaughter.com.